If you want to help keep the Animas River clean, there are many things you can do to help. You can help prevent water pollution of nearby streams and rivers as well as groundwater and drinking water by following some simple guidelines:
1. Water your lawn, garden or fields very efficiently. Consider xeriscape.
2. Pick up your dog’s poop and throw it in the trash.
3. Wash your car at a commercial carwash.
4. Never throw medicine down the sink/toilet. Throw them away at the city Police Station.
5. Take unwanted household cleaners and other chemicals to special collections.
6. Only apply the amount of fertilizer that your lawn needs – if any.
7. If you must apply pesticides, follow the instructions very carefully.
8. Manage your cows and horses out of the river and away from the river banks.
9. Leave a “filter” strip of dense vegetation next to the river.
10. Pump and maintain your house’s septic system on a regular basis.
Together we can keep our rivers healthy, productive and fun!